Marriage License Process
- Submit application (online or in-person at the Clerk’s Office)
- The license is valid to be used for 33 days, beginning on and including the application date, so be sure your marriage date will fall within that timeframe otherwise you will have to re-apply.
- In-person application office hours at Charlotte: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Get more information about our special Friday hours in Delta Township
- For online applications, you will receive a confirmation on screen (PNG) that your application has been submitted
- If not, please contact our office at 517-543-2478 to verify we received your application
- The day you apply online is the date used for starting the 3-day waiting period and 33-days validity
- Provide proof of identity and residence and social security number for both applicants
- For any applicant not present a copy of their birth certificate and driver’s license along with their social security number must be provided and it is helpful to have all documents for both.
- We go by the address shown on your picture ID, so if you have a change of address on the back be sure to show us or copy both front and back. If your address on your ID is not up-to-date please bring a current bill addressed to you at your current address.
- If applying in-person, bring proof documents at the time of application
- If applying online, bring proof documents after 3-day waiting period when picking up the license
- The affidavit is printed and proofed by the applicant(s) for errors
- Applicant(s) signs affirming they are complying with Michigan marriage laws and the information provided on the application is true and correct
- $20 (or $30 non-resident) fee is due
- Online payment option, additional fees apply
- Or pay in-person
- We accept cash, check, money order, debit or credit (there is an additional fee when using a card)
- 3 calendar days after application the license is available to be picked up
- You do not have to pick it up exactly when the third day is up, that is just the minimum, but you must give the license to the wedding officiant prior to your ceremony
- Pick-up available only during office hours for marriage applications in Charlotte Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Get more information about our special hours in Delta Township
- Please be aware our office is closed certain holidays, dates listed on the Clerk's Main page
- Please allow for up to 30 minutes spent in our office when picking up the license
Note: While there are no blood testing or HIV/AIDS classes required when applying for marriage licenses, we are required by State law to provide an educational pamphlet when you apply.
A certified copy of a record on file is printed on special security paper and contains a raised, embossed seal. An old-style license, on only white paper issued for the ceremony, with a gold and/or raised seal is not considered certified.
For information about how to purchase certified copies of a marriage license on file with Eaton County (for which the ceremony has already been performed) visit Vital Records-Birth, Marriage, Death.
One of the issued marriage ceremony licenses gets mailed/returned to:
Eaton County Clerk
1045 Independence Boulevard
Charlotte, MI 48813