Online Application Process
At least one of the applicants must come in person to pick up the license and provide for both applicants proof of age, identity and residence (at least one in Eaton County.)
For any applicant not present a copy of their BIRTH CERTIFICATE and DRIVER’S LICENSE along with their SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER must be provided.
Information required for the application:
- full name, age, date of birth and registered residence of applicants
- proof of identity (in the form of a driver’s license, passport, military ID or state ID)
- proof of age (in the form of a birth certificate, driver’s license, passport, military ID or state ID)
- proof of residence (in the form of driver’s license, or current bill addressed to applicant)
- Full and complete street name is needed including, if applicable, street type (road, blvd, etc.), listed direction, and apartment number
- the city and state you were born
- applicants’ social security number
- the full and correct spelling of your parents’ names, mothers’ maiden name
- the State your parents were born
- If outside of the US, provide City, State (or equivalent) and Country
Click here to go to the online application
- Submit application online
- You will receive a popup confirmation on screen that your application has been submitted. If not, please contact our office at 517-543-2494
- Online payment option, additional fees may apply
- Wait 4 calendar days from application date
- Come to Clerk’s Office and provide proof of identity and residence and social security number for both applicants
- Office hours for marriages applications: M-F 8 AM to 4:30 PM
- Please allow for up to 30 minutes spent in our office when picking up the license
- For any applicant not present a copy of their BIRTH CERTIFICATE and DRIVER’S LICENSE along with their SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER must be provided
- Affidavit is printed and proofed by applicant(s) for errors
- Applicant(s) signs affirming they are complying with Michigan marriage laws and application is true and correct
- $20 fee is due (if not previously paid online)
- License is printed
NOTE: While there is no blood test or HIV/AIDS classes required when applying for marriage licenses, we are required by State law to provide a pamphlet on HIV/Aids testing when you apply.
- It is important your personal information (spelling, dates of birth and parents information) on the marriage license is correct. Please thoroughly proof your license before you leave our office.
- If you find an error after you are married and the license has been filed with the State of Michigan Vital Stats office it will require a court order by the Circuit Court to change; that fee is $150.00.
- The license is valid for 33 days (starting on date of the application)
- There is a 4 day waiting period before the license can be picked up
- This waiting period can be waived with valid reason and for a fee of $15
- The license is valid statewide, you can be married anywhere in Michigan once the affidavit has been completed and the waiting period has been fulfilled or waived.
ÅBack to Marriage Main