CIRCUIT COURT CLERK
1045 INDEPENDENCE BLVD.,
CHARLOTTE, MI 48813
517-543-7500 ext 4335
Welcome to the Eaton County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office. We are the office that deals with divorce filings.
To file for divorce in our office:
1. You must live in the State of Michigan for at least 180 days, and reside in the county for least ten (10) days.
2. You may either retain an attorney, or you may represent yourself.
If you need assitance on finding an attorney you may go to the State web page:
3. To represent yourself you may:
1. Purchase a Divorce Booklet at an any major bookstore.
2. Order a Divorce Booklet through the Grand River Press at:
Grand River Press
P.O. Box 1342
East Lansing, MI 48826
3. SELF HELP WEB SITE: http://www.michiganlegalhelp.org/
IF YOU NEED LEGAL ASSISTANCE YOU MAY CONTACT LEGAL SERVICES OF CENTRAL MICHIGAN TO SEE IF YOU QUALIFY FOR THEIR SERVICES.
Legal Services of South Central Michigan
517-394-3121 or 1-888-783-8190
Hotline (ext 259) Intake hours:
Monday through Thursday 9:00 – 11:00
Thursday Evenings 5:00 – 7:00 p.m.
IN REPRESENTING YOURSELF YOU ARE ACTING AS YOUR OWN ATTORNEY.
THE CIRCUIT COURT CLERK STAFF ARE NOT LAWYERS, AND ARE PROHIBITED
FROM GIVING OUT LEGAL ADVICE. WE CAN NOT HELP ASSIST YOU IN FILLING OUT YOUR FORMS. HOWEVER WE CAN ASSIST IN ANSWERING OFFICE PROCEDURAL QUESTIONS.
COSTS FOR FILING FOR DIVORCE:
1. The fee to file for Divorce is $150.00 without children.
2. The fee to file for Divorce is $150.00 with children.
There will be a $80 fee upon entry of judgment for cases involving children.
All filings should have the original plus copies. To make copies here in our office we
Must charge $1.00 for the first page, and .50 cents for each additional page.
HOW TO FILE:
1. You may come into our office and present your pleadings with original documents
plus copies. Also you must have the correct fee included. Please remember our
Office does not provide forms.
2. You may also file your pleadings by way of mailing them to our office.
Please include your original pleadings and copies with a check or money order
made payable to: Eaton County Circuit Court Clerk. Please include a self-
addressed stamped envelope for the return of any copies. We do not at this time
accept any filings via facsimile.
OTHER DOMESTIC MATTERS:
Our office handles other Domestic cases such as: Paternity, Support, and Separate Maintenance, Custody, and Annulment.
To Order a copy of your JUDGMENT OF DIVORCE by credit card go to