Elections Clerk: Kimberly Morris 517-543-2488
***MORE SELECTIONS PERTAINING TO ELECTIONS LISTED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE***
You are qualified to vote if:
1. You are a U.S. Citizen
2. You are at least 18 years of age on or before the next scheduled election.
3. You have been a resident of Michigan for at least 30 days before the election.
4. You have registered on or before the close of registration preceding the election.
The last day to register before an election occurs at 5 p.m. on the 30th day preceding the election.
You do not have to re-register for each election unless you have moved and/or changed your name.
- Any Secretary of State Branch Office
- The Eaton County Clerk’s Office
-Your City of Township Clerk’s Office - By mail * a voter who has never voted in Michigan who chooses to register by mail, must appear in person to vote in the first election in which he or she wishes to participate. PA 92 of 2004.
Other places you may register to vote:
Registration may also be made at the specified agency for clients receiving services through the Department of Community Health, Michigan Jobs Commission and some offices of the Commission for the Blind and at the military recruitment offices for persons enlisting in the Armed Forces.
What if I have moved?
-If you have moved within the city or township you are currently registered to vote in you should immediately notify your city or township clerk.
-If you have moved to a different city or township within the State of Michigan you must re-register with your new city or township clerk, or at any Secretary of State branch office.
-There is a 30-day window from the time you move to the new city/township to vote in your past address.
ABSENTEE VOTING (Responsibility of Local Clerks)
You are NOT eligible to vote by absentee ballot if:
- You are under 60 years of age and a first time voter in the State of Michigan and registered to vote by mail.
You are eligible to vote by absentee ballot if the following applies:
- You are 60 years of age or older
- The clerk (city, township or County) has verified your I.D. and signature.
- You will be absent from your community the entire time the polls are open on Election Day.
- You are physically unable to go to the polls to vote without the aid of another person.
- Because of religious beliefs you are unable to attend the polls.
- You are an election inspector working outside of your community.
- You are in jail or prison awaiting arraignment or trial.
You can request an absentee ballot by writing to your city or township clerk. Your written request must include:
Date of the election
Address where you are registered to vote
Reason you are requesting an absentee ballot
Date of your request
REQUESTS FOR ABSENTEE applications can be made in writing or by phone. An application process is required to receive a ballot.
Once your request is received by the local clerk, your signature on the request will be checked against your voter registration record before a ballot is issued. You must be a registered voter to receive an absentee ballot. Requests for absentee voter ballots are processed immediately. Absentee voter ballots may be issued to you at your home address or any address outside of your city or township of residence.
After receiving your absentee voter ballot, you have until 8 p.m. on election day to complete the ballot and return it to the clerk's office. Your ballot will not be counted unless your signature is on the return envelope and matches your signature on file. If you received assistance voting the ballot, then the signature of the person who helped you must also be on the return envelope. Only you, a family member or person residing in your household, a mail carrier, or election official is authorized to deliver your signed absentee voter ballot to your clerk's office.
Voting is one of the most cherished and fundamental rights in our county. If you are eligible to obtain an absentee voter ballot and cannot attend the polls on election day, use of the absentee voter ballot is strongly encouraged.
VOTING ON ELECTION DAY
The polls are open from 7:00 A.M. until 8:00 P.M.