Assistance for Individuals and Businesses

Assistance for Individuals and Businesses

In order to qualify for disaster assistance for individuals from FEMA, Eaton County must be covered by a Presidential disaster declaration and your losses must have occurred here. Secondly, if you have insurance, you must file a claim with your insurance company. Frequently Asked Question (FAQ). Can I apply for FEMA assistance if I have insurance? Yes. You may qualify for FEMA assistance even if you have insurance. By law, FEMA can't duplicate benefits for losses covered by your insurance. So, you need to file a claim with your insurance company as soon as possible.

Two types of disaster assistance, “Housing Needs” and “Other than Housing Needs,” are available to individuals, families and businesses in an area whose property has been damaged or destroyed and whose losses are not covered by insurance. See FEMA’s website for additional information on this program: FEMA Individual Assistance

Small Business Administration Disaster Loans

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) can make federally subsidized loans to repair or replace homes, personal property or businesses that sustained damages not covered by insurance. For many individuals, the SBA disaster loan program is the primary form of disaster assistance. The Small Business Administration can provide four types of disaster loans to qualified homeowners and businesses:

  • Physical Damage Loans are applicable to homeowners and renters to repair or replace disaster-related damages to home or personal property.
  • Mitigation Assistance is applicable to homeowners and small businesses impacted by declared natural and other disasters. Eligible SBA disaster loan borrowers may choose to receive expanded funding to help mitigate their home or business against future disasters.
  • Economic Injury Disaster Loans provide capital to small businesses and to small agricultural cooperatives to assist them through the disaster recovery period.