The Community Development Department is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Eaton County Land Development Code (Zoning Ordinance) in the unincorporated portions of Eaton County (Bellevue, Brookfield, Carmel, Chester, Eaton, Eaton Rapids, Hamlin, Kalamo, Roxand, Sunfield, Vermontville and Walton Townships). Eaton County has been administering planning and zoning activities for the county since October 1, 1959.
Any questions concerning property zoning, conditional use permits, zoning variances, site plans, land use or any other planning or zoning issues may be directed to the Department by e-mailing or calling. Questions or complaints regarding code compliance can be directed to the Code Enforcement Officer.
Department responsibilities/services include but are not limited to the following:
- Administer and enforce the Eaton County Land Development Code (zoning ordinance).
- Educate the public regarding the content of the Eaton County Land Development Code (zoning ordinance).
- Work with the public and township officials on complaints/violations to address their concerns.
- Provide technical staff support to the Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals and participate with other committees involved in land use planning related activities.
- Address any questions or inquiries in reference to the Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Process applications for:
- Conditional Use Permits
- Zoning Board of Appeals
- District Change Amendments
- Site Plan Reviews
- Land Divisions
- Private Roads
- and others