Concealed Pistol License (CPL)
Learn about the application process for a new Concealed Pistol License:
To print application: Michigan State Police Website
County Clerk filings are accepted Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Please have everything ready when coming in to apply, if you have questions please call 517-543-2494.
Eaton County Clerk
New applicants must apply in person and will need the following:
- Fully completed application in ink
- Download application form from the Michigan State Police (MSP) site
- Picture Identification (Driver’s License, or State ID) - Your registered address must be in Eaton County
- Immigrants also need to provide their ID card with 9-digit Alien Registration number
- Certificate of Completion of a pistol safety training course (Valid for 5 years) - must contain the following:
- The statement: "this course complies with section 5J of 1927 PA 372"
- The instructor’s name and original signature
- Additionally on the certificate or an attached page there must be:
- The instructor’s phone number
- The name and telephone number of the certifying organization of the instructor
- Instructor certification number, and certification expiration date
For more information regarding qualifications, please go to the Concealed Pistol License Requirements
If your CPL is expired for more than one year prior to the date you are applying or you have been found to be not qualified for a license previously your application is considered a "re-application" - not a renewal or new application.
If your CPL is due to expire within the next 6 months or is expired for one year or less prior to the date of application, you are eligible to renew.
Please make sure your course and completion certificate complies with Michigan Law.
After submitting your new application (or expired for more than 1 year) you need to be fingerprinted specifically for this application, which then starts the background checks. Many MI Sheriff departments normally do fingerprinting or some private security firms do. Please contact them directly regarding getting fingerprinted.
Fingerprinting is not currently done by the ECSO Delta Township branch or by the Michigan State Police for the purpose of a CPL.
You can get fingerprinted at any digital LIVE-Scan fingerprint location.
Eaton County Sheriff's Office is open now for walk-in appointments. Their hours are from 8:00-11:30 and 1:00-4:30.
For questions regarding Concealed Pistol License (CPL) permits, call our office at 517-543-2494.
For more information visit the State of Michigan Police website.
County Clerk's Office
1045 Independence Boulevard
Charlotte, MI 48813
1045 Independence Boulevard Charlotte MI 48813
Phone: 517-543-2426Fax: 517-541-0666
View a Map of the Eaton County Complex (PDF)
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.