Eaton County Clerk
Marriage License Process
The Courthouse will be closed every Friday
Beginning Friday, June 19, 2020 through October 2, 2020
Public Notice Regarding COVID-19
For your and our staff’s safety a mask or facial covering must be worn while in the enclosed public areas and social-distancing practiced.
Thank you for your understanding,
Only one applicant is needed to sign when picking up a license. To reduce contact and time required in office you can send your application documents ahead of time to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be aware our office is closed certain holidays, dates listed on the Clerk’s page.
You are eligible to apply for a marriage license in order to be married if:
- You are not currently married (including marriages occurring in other countries)
- You or your fiancé is an Eaton County resident - Michigan residents must apply in the county of their current address
- You are 18 years of age or older
- And you going to be married within 33 days of submitting your application
- If you both are out-of-state residents:
- You would need to apply in Eaton County if your ceremony is to be performed in Eaton County
- If you are unsure please contact us with your venue’s address and we can verify if it is Eaton County, because it may invalidate the license if it is performed in the wrong county
- An applicant is 16 or 17 years of age
- A parent or guardian must be present with a valid government identification and proof of guardianship documents to sign a consent form
- Submit application (online
or in-person at the Clerk’s Office)
Michigan residents must apply in the County in which they reside.
- The license is valid to be used for 33 days, beginning on and including the application date.
- Application hours at Charlotte: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- The day you apply online is the date used for starting the 3-day waiting period and 33-days validity
- You do not have to pick it up exactly when the third day is up, that is just the minimum, but you must give the license to the wedding officiant prior to your ceremony. Without the license a ceremony is not legally valid.
- Provide proof of identity and residence and social security number for both applicants
- $20 (or $30 non-resident) fee is due
- Online payment option, additional fees apply
- Or pay in-person
- We accept cash, check, money order, debit or credit (there is an additional fee when using a card)
A certified copy of a record on file is printed on special security paper and contains a raised, embossed seal. An old-style license, on only white paper issued for the ceremony, with a gold and/or raised seal is not considered certified.
For information about how to purchase certified copies of a marriage license on file with Eaton County (for which the ceremony has already been performed) visit Vital Records-Birth, Marriage, Death.
One of the issued marriage ceremony licenses gets mailed/returned to:
Eaton County Clerk
1045 Independence Boulevard
Charlotte, MI 48813