56A District Court
Mask/Face Covering Information
Effective: Tuesday, February 22, 2022
The public is encouraged to wear masks when entering any court building, surgical and/or KN-95 masks will be available upon request. We encourage immunocompromised, older adults, and those who live with those at higher risk to wear a mask.
- Visitors are required to self-screen for symptoms and active COVID-19 infection or exposure.
- Masks will be required for individuals who were exposed to COVID-19 within the last 6-10 days or the beginning of an isolation period.
- Visitors may not enter the Court building who are in day 0-5 of isolation or quarantine.
The District Court was established by the Michigan Legislature in 1968 and is constitutionally and statutorily mandated. The 56A District Court includes two District Judges who are elected on nonpartisan ballots for a term of six years.
The District Court handles cases filed within Eaton County, including:
- All adult misdemeanors where punishment does not exceed one year
- Civil cases up to $25,000 including small claims disputes up to $6,500 and landlord/tenant disputes
- Civil infractions, including traffic and parking violations
- Preliminary examinations in felony cases
- Traffic cases
All financial obligations (fines, costs, restitution) are due in full on the date of sentencing. Pursuant to Michigan Court Rules (MCR) 1.110.