Probate Court

How to file with the Probate Court

The newest versions of all SCAO forms must be used for all Probate filings.  Per MCL 600.855 and MCR 5.113(A) all filings MUST be submitted on an approved SCAO form if one exists.  Links to required forms can be accessed by clicking on the items listed on the sidebar. 

The Court encourages filing by e-mail whenever possible.  Filing by e-mail will help ensure timely filings and quicker turn-around if there are issues with missing information or outdated documents.  Filings can be sent to:

If you cannot file by e-mail you may: 

  • Send your filings to the Court via U.S. mail at:  1045 Independence Blvd Charlotte, MI 48813. If you want copies of your filing you must include a self-addressed stamped envelope.  
  • File your documents in person, Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.  When filing in person please keep in mind that the Court cannot ensure filing can be completed while you wait.  The Court may limit the number of filings that can be made in person by a single individual.  A self-addressed stamped envelope will be required if you want copies returned to you after filing.

Contact the Probate Court

    Phone: 517-543-7500  

ext.1276 for letters A-J

ext. 1277 Mental Health and letters S-Z

ext. 1278 for letters K-R

            Link to Probate Court webpage: 

Probate Court Presides Over

What is Probate

  • Guardianship/Conservatorship
  • Involuntary Mental Health Commitment Petitions
  • Wills, Deceased Estates & Trusts
  • Name Changes
  • Emancipations
  • Secret Marriages
  • Delayed Registration of Birth

Probate Services

Guardianships for:

  • Legally Incapacitated Adults - Full & Partial
  • Developmentally Disabled Adults - Partial & Plenary
  • Minors - Full & Partial  

Conservatorships for:

  • Legally Incapacitated Adults
  • Minors  

Mental Commitments

Civil Law Suits


Deceased Estates - Formal and Informal

Petition and Order for Assignment of Property


Name Changes

ADA Compliance

This court is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require special accommodations to use the court because of disabilities, please contact the ADA Coordinator, Amy Etzel, at 517-543-7500 ext. 4314 to make arrangements and fill out the ADA Request for Accommodations Form (PDF).

Legal Advice 

Probate Court staff cannot provide legal advice or guidance.  This website has many useful resources if you wish to represent yourself however, in some cases seeking the advice of an attorney may be advisable. 

Case Search

Probate case searches are not available online.
Please contact the Probate Court in writing by mail or e-mail to do a case inquiry search. 

 There is a $2.00 fee for case searches