** MASK REQUIREMENT **
Effective: Friday, August, 13, 2021
All individuals are required to wear a mask, regardless of vaccination status, when in any courtroom, in-person meeting and jury assembly rooms.
Members of the public are recommended to wear masks when entering any court building.
How to file with the Probate Court
The newest versions of all SCAO forms must be used for all Probate filings. Per MCL 600.855 and MCR 5.113(A) all filings MUST be submitted on an approved SCAO form if one exists. Links to required forms can be accessed by clicking on the items listed on the sidebar.
The Court encourages filing by e-mail whenever possible. Filing by e-mail will help ensure timely filings and quicker turn-around if there are issues with missing information or outdated documents. Filings can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you cannot file by e-mail you may:
- Send your filings and other documents to the Court via U.S. mail at: 1045 Independence Blvd Charlotte, MI 48813. If you want copies returned, you must include a self-addressed stamped envelope. Please also note, it is not necessary to send extra copies of proposed Orders and Letters for certification. Certified copies can only be made from the original document signed by the Judge or Probate Register. An additional
- File your documents in person, Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. When filing in person please keep in mind that the Court cannot ensure filing can be completed while you wait. The Court may limit the number of filings that can be made in person by a single individual. A self-addressed stamped envelope will be required if you want copies of your document returned to you after filing.
Contact the Probate Court
Probate Court Presides Over
- Involuntary Mental Health Commitment Petitions
- Wills, Deceased Estates & Trusts
- Name Changes
- Secret Marriages
- Delayed Registration of Birth
- Civil Law Suits
This court is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require special accommodations to use the court because of disabilities, please contact the ADA Coordinator, Amy Etzel, at 517-543-7500 ext. 4314 to make arrangements and fill out the ADA Request for Accommodations Form (PDF).
Probate Court staff cannot provide legal advice or guidance. This website has many useful resources if you wish to represent yourself however, in some cases seeking the advice of an attorney may be advisable. You may also visit Michigan Legal Help at: https://michiganlegalhelp.org/ for assistance in completing you filing
Probate case searches are not available online.
Please contact the Probate Court in writing by mail or e-mail to do a case inquiry search.
There is a $2.00 fee for case searches
Send you case search requests to: email@example.com