From March 13-20, 2022, Eaton County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to 846 calls for service/events. Our higher call volumes occurred in the following areas: Traffic Stops-187, Suspicious Subject/Situation/Vehicle-45, Shoplifting Complaints-35, Assist Citizen/Motorist Assists-34, Traffic Violations-32, Alarms-31, Car/Deer Accidents-22, Check Well-Beings-22, Domestic Disputes-20, Civil Complaints-20, Property Damage Crashes-20, Personal Injury Crashes-18, Traffic Hazards-14, Larcenies-13, Property Damage Hit & Run-13, and Vacation Checks-8.
Spring is officially here and with this there will be more of us out appreciating the fresh air and spring flowers by walking, jogging, and bicycling. And our kids will be out playing and walking to friends’ homes. Please take some time to review pedestrian safety with your family. Here are some reminders:
- Use sidewalks whenever possible.
- Cross streets at a corner, using traffic signals and crosswalks when possible. Never cross mid-block.
- Look left-right-left before crossing a street.
- When a sidewalk is not available, walk facing traffic, as far to the left as possible when walking in the roadway.
- Wear reflective clothing and carry a flashlight when walking at night or in the early morning.
- Obey all posted speed limits.
- Stop at traffic signals or stop signs before a crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in a cross-walk at a signalized intersection.
- Don’t block a roadway that interferes with the normal flow of traffic.
And please, whether you are a pedestrian or driver, avoid distractions such as cell phones.
Yours in Public Safety,
Sheriff Tom Reich