How do I get a copy of a person's criminal record? Is it free?

Criminal History Access

The Michigan State Police operates the Internet Criminal History Access Tool (ICHAT) where anyone can search the official MSP criminal history record database for $10 per search, using MasterCard or Visa. Non-profit, charitable organizations may qualify for free ICHAT searches (PDF) if criminal history checks are needed on people who work with children or the frail elderly. For each search, you need the person's full name, sex, race and date of birth.

ICHAT's criminal history database covers only Michigan convictions, and is updated daily with felony and misdemeanor conviction information provided by law enforcement, prosecuting attorneys and courts throughout the State. Your search includes only Michigan felony or misdemeanor arrests where a person has been convicted in a court, and where the conviction has been added to that person's criminal history record. It does not include arrests without a conviction, outstanding warrants, federal arrests or arrests from other states.

A search for a criminal record from another state requires you to correspond directly with the criminal record repository of that state.

Criminal history documents in prosecutor files are confidential and will not be released to the public. Law Enforcement Information Network (LEIN) access rules prohibit prosecutors from releasing their reports to the public. Prosecutors may see broader information than the public's MSP iCHAT report about convictions. Prosecutors might see information on pending, dismissed or non-public outcome cases.

Show All Answers

1. How do get a criminal charge issued? Can I report a crime directly to the Prosecutor's office?
2. I am the victim. Can I drop the charge?
3. Can I issue counter-charges against someone?
4. How do I get my property back?
5. How do I get a copy of a police report? Is it free?
6. Where do I get court forms?
7. How do I get a copy of a person's criminal record? Is it free?
8. Can you tell me if a charge has been issued yet? Can you tell me if an arrest warrant exists?
9. Can you tell me a defendant's next court date?
10. I was the victim of a violent crime. Will the Prosecuting Attorney pay for my hospital bill and my lost wages, help me collect for pain and suffering, etc?
11. The defendant is not paying court-ordered restitution. Who can help me?
12. I was cheated by a contractor, shopkeeper or someone else who provides labor or services. Can the Prosecuting Attorney help me?
13. I want to work in your office. Do you have job openings? What is the pay scale?
14. How can I become an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney?
15. I have been subpoenaed to appear as a witness in a criminal case. Can I get witness fees? What if I can't attend on the date stated in the subpoena?
16. Is your job risky or dangerous?
17. I want a divorce. I also need help getting child support. Can the Prosecutor's office help me?
18. I want a restraining order to keep someone away from me. Will the Prosecuting Attorney do this for me?
19. Can I talk to Mr. Lloyd? I think he's the person who is working on my case since his name appears on my court documents.
20. How do I get a court-appointed attorney?
21. I am a defendant and I don't like the attorney who is representing me. Can I talk to Mr. Lloyd or one of the Assistant Prosecutors about my case?
22. Why are some cases plea bargained?
23. Where is Eaton County?
24. What if I have a question which is not answered in your FAQs?