What if he is not arrested for violating the PPO?

The police might not arrest the restrained party, especially if the officer did not witness him commit the acts violating the personal protection order (PPO), or if there was insufficient proof that the respondent had been served with the PPO papers before the alleged violation occurred.

If the restrained person is not arrested, you will have to file a "motion to show cause" in the Circuit Court Clerk's office to have a hearing about the PPO violation. A "show cause" action focuses on whether the respondent should be held in contempt of court for violating the PPO. Like the original PPO application, you will have to write out what the respondent did and said, and attach supporting witness statements, police reports, photographs, etc. Your motion to show cause will be reviewed by the Judge. 

If he believes that a violation likely occurred, he will schedule a show cause hearing and will issue a show cause order directing the defendant to appear in Court to respond to your allegations that he violated the PPO. You must attend the show cause hearing; bring eye witnesses and supporting evidence, because testimony will be needed if the respondent disputes what you alleged in your motion. To help you document PPO violations, download our Stalking Victim's Log (PDF).

Show All Answers

1. What if the Respondent violates the PPO?
2. Does the violation have to occur in front of a police officer?
3. What if the PPO violator is gone before the police arrive?
4. What happens if he is arrested?
5. What if he is not arrested for violating the PPO?
6. What is the Prosecuting Attorney's role in PPO contempt hearings?
7. What kinds of punishment can he get for violating the PPO?
8. What can I do to help "make a case" for a PPO violation?
9. Can someone be charged with both a PPO violation and a separate criminal offense for the same behavior?
10. What if I resume contact with the respondent after the PPO has been issued?
11. How do I change the terms of or dismiss the PPO?
12. Is there a fee to modify or cancel a PPO?